Thursday, February 15, 2007

Snow Day!

Finally! A snow day!

Except it was more of an ice day, so no sledding... but there was soup!

ALKALINE VEGETABLE + BARLEY CURRY SOUP
Serves: 12
6-quart stock pot with lids
3 tbs olive oil
2 onions, chopped
2 cups dark leafy greens, chopped (I used a frozen Blooming Glen mixture of carrot greens, kale and swiss chard)
8 cloves garlic, minced
1 to 1 1/2 cups pearled barley (use more for a thicker stew)
32 ounces butternut squash soup (I use Imagine brand)
5 scrubbed, but unpeeled* carrots, diced or sliced into discs
5 scrubbed, but unpeeled* parsnips, diced or sliced into discs
1 rutabaga diced - if there's wax on the skin, peel it off, otherwise just scrub it clean
5 stalks of celery, diced (I use the leafy parts, too)
4+ tablespoons of curry powder (spice it up to taste)

*Most of the nutrients in root vegetables live close to the surface; by peeling them you'll inadvertently loose the good stuff.

Heat the oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook until softened (about five minutes). Add the garlic, greens and half of the curry powder; saute for about 30 seconds. Stir in barley and soup Bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat to low, skim off any froth, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.

Add root veggie loveliness, celery and remaining curry powder. Cover and simmer 20 to 25 minutes more, or until barley and vegetables are tender; add water if necessary. I served this with Dave's Own Pumpernickel bread (shipped from RI by Grandma G.).

We had such a great day hanging out together. I wish everyday could be like this :)

AC ventured outside while I was making soup.


After lunch, we built the best Lego army base EVER.


Clearly, Cinder was too busy to play in the snow, cook soup or build an army base.


No school, no work... just family time, cooking, building, playing and finishing the day up with cuddle puddle on the couch while watching Totoro (one the best movies ever created).

Yeah, man :)

11 comments:

Miss Awesome said...

Fine. Outshine me as greatest mom ever.

Crystal said...

That's alotta lego soldiers!!

-Crystal

RA said...

Hi! Thanks for stopping by my neck of the woods!

Yes, snow days are great. From the looks of your pictures, your kids enjoyed their day off a whole lot, and having soup is always a good way to spend a cold day.

Also, I live not far from you, in Kennett Square, PA. How much snow did you end up getting?

Taylor said...

I don't think I'll be messing with that fort!

Glad you enjoyed the snow day and a day off. I work outside, so have only worked two days in the past two weeks, due to the cold. I'm about to kill myself, so ice/snow is not welcome around here.

Sorry about your hamster.

Anonymous said...

You and AC rock the hizouse.

That soup looks so damn good. I'm getting tired of frozen dinners! :-/

(Did I tell you that I'm instituting vegan taco night after I move?... Oh yes. The tacos will prevail once again...)

Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

ahh, Mikaela, this looks like a perfect day -- appropriately labeled with "happy"! that's an amazing lego creation for sure.

MeloMeals said...

OK, I have to admit, that Army Base trumps the soup and the dog.. and that's saying a lot! cuz the soup looks amazingly delicious.. and the dog is adorable!

Emmy said...

The soup looks incredible! Yummy!!! Perfect food for a snow day. What an awesome Lego army base :) Awww, what a cute pic of Cinder.

What a wonderful way to spend the day...sounds like you truly enjoyed every second of it :)

Oh, and while I was reading one of the tabloids (yes, they're a guilty habit of mine), there was a picture of Britney Spears holding a copy of The Four Agreements. I thought oh no... she's tarnishing the good name of the book Mikeala recommended! LOL

FENICLE said...

Thanks for the recipe. It looks good. May have to try it. As for the Lego Army Base - all I can say is WOW! We got some snow today, but nearly the amount you did. Stay warm!

wheresmymind said...

That LEGO base ROCKS!

Dr. Melissa West said...

Ahhh, you are such a great mommy. Love the alkaline foods.