Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Number Five is Alive!

Fifth CSA pick-up and I'm beginning to fear my joy on these days. I mean, I know that these amazing harvests aren't going to continue 52 weeks out of the year, but already... We're addicted.

Our friend Kelly and I were discussing our luck in living in an area so rich with farm land and CSA opportunities. She and her boyfriend Justin joined the CSA at Pennypacker Farm this year, and we share a Tuesday pick-up day. This week, she got raspberries! No raspberries for us (yet!), but that's okay, as our share certainly left us feeling nothing but fulfilled.

This week:
three cucumbers
three zucchini
head of red lettuce
head of green lettuce
bunch of spring onions
bunch of basil
four fennel
one kohlrabi
handful of cillantro
handful of dill
3/4 pound of kale and/or swiss chard
1/2 pound of spring greens
1/2 pound of broccoli
bunch of carrots
six beets

Yeah, I passed on the swiss chard this time around. I've not given up on it, mind you. I'm just taking a break. And besides, we've got it in our garden :o)

Other notes of this week: This is the first pick-up I've done on my own. Usually, AveryCain is my co-pilot; Jason is at work and school on pick-up days, but he did join me last Tuesday. Um, does anyone else have off for Flag Day? I didn't think so :-P Anyway... I think the zucchini are the cutest veggie to date, these outside photographs are the best so far, I'm really glad the kale is still coming, we've begun rooting some of the basil so that we can plant it (there's just so much of it!) and we are going to make excellent use of From Asparagus to Zucchini.

And finally, a kohlrabi update: Tonight, I made a stir fry of the bok choy, kohlrabi, spring onions and some millet that I got from out natural foods co-op. I think it was a wee bit salty, but otherwise yummm!

Maybe raspberries next week? Who knows - half the fun is the surprise!

PS: You remember, "Number Five is alive!" right?

No comments: